The Old Town Hall (In Main Street, Pettah) was was designed by J.G. Smither, an architect in the Public Works Department at the Colombo Municipal Council. He also designed the Colombo Museum.
The building work started in 1870. The Town Hall was completed in 1873 and was opened by the Governor, Sir William Gregory. It was built as the main office, chambers and hall of the Colombo Municipal Council. It was also a courthouse.
The upstairs Hall and Offices are now empty...
...and there are dummies in the office...
...showing a real meeting that took place in 1906.
There is a Museum downstairs exhibiting traction engines, an old garbage van with solid rubber tyres and the original mobile library van. The Office downstairs is now part of a Fire Station.
The building is now in a dreadful condition....something should be done to protect it from further decay.
The Old Town Hall: A priceless symbol of our past